The institute is 70 years old today! And yet we are only just getting off to a good start: for about 1.5 years in the Leibniz Association, with great projects such as the new Use The News
, and from tomorrow in the Forschungsinstitut gesellschaftlicher Zusammenhalt
(FGZ, Research Institute Social Cohesion)...
The Hans-Bredow-Institut was founded on 30 May 1950 by the Nordwestdeutscher Rundfunk [Northwest German Broadcasting Corporation] (NWDR) and Universität Hamburg as a foundation under civil law with legal capacity. The Institute was named after Hans Bredow (1879-1959), State Secretary and Commissioner for Broadcasting in the Ministry of Posts in the Weimar Republic, who made a name for himself in the Weimar Republic as a pioneer of the technical development of broadcasting. He was awarded the Knight Commander’s Cross of the Order of Merit in 1954 for his services in establishing the organisational structures of broadcasting in the Federal Republic.
Since 2019, the institute has been a member of the Leibniz Association
under the new name Leibniz Institute for Media Research │ Hans-Bredow-Institut (HBI)
The purpose of the independent non-profit foundation Leibniz Institute for Media Research │ Hans-Bredow-Institut (HBI) is “to conduct media research, especially in the field of radio and television as well as other electronic media, in an interdisciplinary manner and to make the results available to science, practice and the public.”
More about the history
[30 May 2020]